Wednesday 16 May 2018

A Eulogy to Our Fighter

Good morning everyone. The eulogy will be in English. I am Rebecca, and before I start talking about 公公, on behalf of the family, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone present today for coming to attend 公公's funeral mass.
公公 was an incredible man. It is impossible to summarise how great a person he was in words but when I think about him, the words that come to mind are strong, dependable, selfless, respectful, frugal and presentable. 
I remember very clearly how 公公 looked when he was admitted last September. I remember Daddy telling us to spend more time with 公公 because his time was near. For some reason, I did not take that seriously because I just had a really strong feeling he was going to be alright. True enough, a few weeks later and a huge surprise to many, 公公 was strong and able again. And for the next 7-8 months, he managed to live the life he wanted- he did not have to know if he had any illness; he did not live like a sick person. He chose not to know, and so he lived. Until his health started to decline from 22nd March this year.
The past 1.5 months have been really tiring for 公公, but he never once gave up. During the last few days of his life, he still fought hard. He was in pain but all he did was grimace or punch the bed with clenched fists. We knew for sure that he was in pain but he never once admitted it. If I had to summarise 公公 in a short sentence, it'd be that he was a very strong man.
I'm not sure about you, but I'm pretty sure I'll think of 公公 and how he'd want me to keep fighting during tough times in future. Because that's what he would do; because that's what he would want us to do.
So 公公, on behalf of every one of us here, I just want to tell you how very very proud of you we all are. You are truly amazing and we will definitely miss you very dearly. Don't you worry about Popo and Aunt Lucy- just like how you were a man of your word, we will keep our promise to take good care of them in your absence.
Rest in eternal peace, 公公. It is going to take us some time to get used to not having you around but we will meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment