Friday 27 March 2015

Day 13
12:14AM, 23 degrees Celsius

I haven't been updating because I've been really tired.

On Wednesday night , a whole bunch of the volunteers went to Local for Ladies' Night where I had at least 10 glasses of gin tonic, only because it was free entry and free flow for ladies between 9-11PM. Met a few Vietnamese girls and a French girl.. And I added them on Facebook while I was buzzed. Friends have been asking if I am really on a voluntary project. 


Duh?

On Thursday morning, one of the three classes organised a "SJ Vietnam Got Talent" show where the students and teachers performed. The students were amazing, everyone went home winners. After the great show, the students cooked up a feast for everyone. We had Vietnamese paper rolls and salad- so good! Vietnamese girls are made of wife material, that I am sure of. 


And here's Kayla and her battle scars


The students from our Thursday evening class got me emotional at our last lesson. We had fruits and soda on the tables at the university, played a few rounds of Constantinople and then, one of the students stood up in front of everyone to give a thank you speech to the teachers. My eyes were dry.. Until Linh came up to me for a big hug.

I've only been here in Hanoi for 2 weeks, I've only had 3 lessons with this class. I did not do- I have not done much. But the students show so much gratitude and love; and remember every single word I have said to them. The Vietnamese students are not only keen learners, they are sincere and genuine; they welcome and invite people into their lives so quickly; they are so hospitable and giving- and I am deeply touched.

The students from the National Economics University are my favourite bunch of students and I will never forget them. 


This morning was also my last lesson with SJ2A. Didn't get too emotional but I am really happy to have practiced interviewing skills with a girl named Tươi, then interviewed her for a job with SJ Vietnam, and finally witnessing her get the job. I guess teaching does bring one unexplainable joy after all. 


Today marks the end of my voluntary project with SJ Vietnam and tho I don't quite like Hanoi, I have learnt a great deal from 40 students of all 3 classes. It has been a wonderful experience and I thank God and IVHQ for this wonderful opportunity to teach the best bunch of students.

Wanita has left and so has Ollie; Hannah will be leaving tomorrow; Becca, MJ and myself on Monday. 282 Linh Nam has been a slum to me- dirty bed sheets, wooden beds, horrible toilets, lack of toilet paper and the same damn food for breakfast, lunch and dinner every single day. But I've made friends of a lifetime from all around the world and I am grateful. The company in this apartment definitely made up for the horrible living conditions in this little town. It's going to be hard to say goodbye to each and every one of them.

Halong Bay with Rachel, Sophie, Kayla, Becca and Teeky this weekend before I head home on Monday morning. I can't wait to take a long hot shower as soon as I get home.

And I deserve a huge serving of truffle fries with lots of tartar on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment